Saturday, March 14, 2015

Third Grade field trip

I had the opportunity to chaperone Bilal's field trip to Desoto Caverns, yesterday. The kids I was responsible for were very well behaved, and that made for an easy day. The weather could have cooperated a little more; we were outdoors a lot, and it was cool and damp, but at least we had very little rain.

We rode charter buses, which definitely beats riding a school bus! I was happy that Bilal wanted me to sit next to him.

We watched a movie on the way down to the caverns, which made the 1 hour+ trip to Childersburg seem quite short. Once there, the kids had a little time to roam around and get a feel for the place.


The trip was well planned, with each activity time divided into half hour increments. After an attempt at the climbing wall, the kids panned for gems.



There was a quick break for a group photo with Mrs. W.

After panning for gems, it was our group's turn to visit the Caverns. Patiently waiting in line:

And the entrance to the cave:

Inside the cave, the rock formations were amazing.


My sweet boy wanted to hold my hand the entire time we were in the cave. Not sure if it was because of the darkness, or that (hopefully) he was excited that I was on the field trip with him. But it was great to stay close together.

Inside the cave, the entire class and the chaperones had a photo taken.

Nice to see everyone smiling and looking at the camera!

Lunch was next on the agenda. Pizza, chips, cookies and pink lemonade. Yum! Then there was time for the kids to burn some energy in the playground, followed by a trip to the gift shop. Lastly, the kiddos had the chance to conquer the Lost Trail Maze.



Finally, it was time to board the buses and head back to school.  A lot of happy, tired children (and adults) rode the bus back to school. No more field trips for the rest of the school year, and I always wonder if Bilal will continue to want me to chaperone his school trips? Perhaps a few more, until my little guy is too 'grown up' to hang out with his Mama? At least I can hope for it!





0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails