Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What's been going on?

After the hustle and bustle of the weekend (shuttling Hamza back and forth from karate, volunteering at the Old Firehouse Shelter on Saturday evening, then Sunday School with Bilal, following by attending a national college fair with Hamza on Sunday afternoon), it felt like work on Monday morning would be a reprieve. It just happened to be my Monday to work late (it only comes once a month), so I didn't get home until late (for me, at least. I know, for most, 6pm isn't late). Fortunately it wasn't a crazy busy day, and I managed to more or less stay on top of my work. I came home to a delicious, freshly cooked meal. Thanks to Zakir for the pan seared trout and sauteed cauliflower, with baked steak fries.

So, with dinner served, and Bilal's homework completed before I came home, it just felt like game night. Who cares if it was a school night? Plenty of time until bedtime. So, while Hamza did his homework and blared his selection of obscure rock and electronic music, Bilal and I squeezed in as many games as we could.

First, a couple of games of Guess Who. I didn't even remember we owned this games until I found it while rummaging through some old boxes in the basement one day. Makes me wonder what other treasures I might find downstairs?

Sammy made himself very comfortable in the already collapsing box. The loft is his usual hangout, and perhaps this was his way of showing us that we were invading his space.



After Guess Who, it was time for Frog Rush, a Lego board game that you build before you play. Not my favorite game, but Bilal loves to play, so we did, but capped it at just one game.

Of course, Bilal won, with his crazy luck!

Finally, one of my favorite games, Sequence!

This is Bilal just 'pretending' to win the game. This time, I actually won! Rather unusual.
We ended the evening with our usual snuggling in bed, and reading a book until it was time to turn out the lights. Lately Bilal is into the series Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney. He is on his sixth book, out of the eight that have been published. Not sure what he'll read once he has completed them all. He has really lost interest in picture books now, although once in a while we will enjoy a well illustrated book together.

Tonight was Husky spirit night at our local Chick-Fil-A, when a percentage of sales support our local elementary school. So I took the boys there after school, to pick up dinner. An improptu mid-week treat for the kids. And Hamza, happy to get his spicy chicken sandwich and milk shake, indulged me by allowing a photograph.

My boys!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails