Friday, February 14, 2014

A Day for Hearts

Conventionally, today is Valentine's Day. A day to be celebrated with loved ones. And that is very sweet, of course. But it is also a reminder that February 14 marks the end of Congenital Heart Defects awareness week. I admit that this year I have been amiss, not writing about it on the blog. But in my defense, it has been a very eventful week in other ways.

So a reminder to all, approximately 1 in 100 children are born with a heart defect. Not all will require surgery during their lifetime, but most will. Last year I shared a list of various interesting statistics and websites that provide great information on this common, but underrepresented medical problem. If you are interested in learning more, you can click here.

A while back I received a beautiful gift from a stranger.

A pin, with one of my favorite graphics on it. You have probably see this on my blog at some time or the other, and it is also my blogger profile photo. The person who sent me the pin is someone whom I have never met, and probably never will. Yet, we have one thing in common. She too, is a heart mom like I am. I really appreciate my lovely pin.

This evening we took the kids out to dinner. We were smart, and went early, because by the time we were leaving the restaurant there was a long wait to get in. We thoroughly enjoyed our Red Robin burgers and appetizers. Zakir and I had Safa take a photo of us at dinner, and guess who photo bombed us?!

My little stinker manged to squeeze his face in too! This morning I got a lovely bouquet and a beautiful heart necklace from Zakir. Personally I have always said that Valentine's Day isn't really a celebration we need to have, it's just another day. But I love my gift, and am proudly wearing it around my neck. Thanks, hon!

1 comments:

Valer @BlogUpp said...

Dear Mina,

Just wanted to let you know that your blog has been selected as per Valentine's blog contest announced on BlogUpp blog.

Enjoy blogging and inspiring others!

Kindest regards,
Valer @BlogUpp

Related Posts with Thumbnails