Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day.... and some memories

It's been a lovely Mother's Day today. I awoke to Zakir making me a nice breakfast (very rare occurrence in our house!) and when the kids came down I was presented with some delightful gifts. A bag of milk chocolate truffles, which the kids assured me I didn't have to share with anyone, and a board game I had never played before.

But after one game with the kids this morning, I know it's sure to become a favorite in our house! Bilal even caught on to the game surprisingly fast.

You can see, everyone was still in their PJs, and as usual, Hamza was trying to hide his face. We sure had some crazy moments too!

Later we went out to lunch, and came back to quite a lazy afternoon at home, although we did work outside some. The day turned out to be a little bigger cooler, but gloriously sunny. In the evening we made a light dinner and Farah and the boys came over for a little while.

And now at the end of the day I am sitting and reflecting over all the blessings I have been given, a lovely family with a great husband and three wonderful children, who make it so worth being a mom every day. And even though we live a crazy, crazy life, there is (oddly) a certain peaceful balance to it. I don't really think I'd have it any other way.

One thing I wish were different, though. I still miss my mother every day. Thirteen years later. Last night I was reading a book aloud to Bilal at bedtime. It was about a girl and her mother, and the mother was very upset about something she had done. I just choked up reading it. So many years later I still can't read anything about a mother and her children without crying. So I shed some tears, and told Bilal why I was upset. And the sensitive little guy that he is, he started crying too! Which was sad and funny, all at the same time! Anyway, we ended up just laughing and hugging each other. My sweet, sweet baby boy!

So Mother's Day is a bittersweet day for me. Being a mom is actually a little bittersweet, every day. But we dwell on the happiness, the time I have loved with my kids since the day they were born. I pray that I have the opportunity to watch them grow up and become into independent adults. And hopefully, some day, become parents themselves, so that they can experience the same blessings that I experience every day.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails