Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A first!

As I have shared on this blog, after living in the United States for seventeen years I finally became a citizen less than three months ago. And one of the first things I did after being granted citizenship, was to register to vote.

And today, for the first time, I exercised my civic right, and duty, to vote in a presidential election.

Zakir went to our local polling station in the morning (it's a first for him too!) and ended up spending almost an hour there. So I dreaded going in the afternoon, anticipating long lines. But if you don't vote you can't complain, right? I went around 4pm to the polling station that is barely three blocks from our house. And surprise, surprise, I was in and out in less than twenty minutes! And back at home with plenty of time to cook supper. So my first experience definitely was a good one. Now we are all glued to the TV, waiting to see what the results will bring us for tomorrow.....

1 comments:

aree1997 said...

Oh 17 years? It took very long time I guess. My phuppo got it after 9 years after shifting there :)

http://areewithumbrella.blogspot.com/

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails