Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Trouble in kindergarten

Bilal brought home his very first 'Oops' note from kindergarten today. He was devastated, cried for about 20 minutes straight, and was so distraught that it was even hard to understand what he was saying. He is always the best behaved child, who has never moved his pin in class, with more than half of the school year already over. In fact I met Safa's kindergarten teacher at the school today and she was telling me how she wished she had Bilal in her class, because he's always so well behaved. Mrs. E and Mrs. B's classes have a lot of activities together, so there is lots of interaction.

Anyway, back to the reason why Bilal got into trouble. According to him, his little friend 'J' pushed him, then told the lunchroom monitor that Bilal had pushed him. Mrs. B is not with the class at lunchtime. Of course I told him that there was no way that he would get into trouble if he hadn't done anything back to 'J'; I figured Bilal probably did the same. So I told him he was not allowed to push other kids, but also didn't make huge deal about the note, because he was already devastated. Yet he kept on saying, "I didn't want to get him in trouble, he's my friend. But he got me in trouble!" After a while he settled down.

Later in the evening I ask Bilal if 'J' got an oops note sent home too, but he didn't. That's when I realized that Bilal was probably telling the truth. He is not one to initiate anything physical like pushing or shoving. When I asked why he didn't tell the lunchroom teacher that 'J' was actually the one who pushed him and not the other way around, he insisted "He's my friend. I didn't want to get him in trouble!" Poor baby! I think he got sabotaged by his own friend! One tiny infraction is nothing in kindergarten. These are all five and six year old kids, learning discipline in school where it is often not taught at home. But it sure is a pity that Bilal got in trouble due to no fault of his own.

1 comments:

Stefenie said...

Awww!! Poor guy. Gosh this broke my heart reading it. I can picture just how upset he was. :( {{{HUG}}}

Related Posts with Thumbnails