Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Study Guide

After having filed my application for naturalization in December, I completed the next step today; fingerprinting at our local application office. My appointment was at 10am, so to be on the safe side I planned on getting there a few minutes early. I walked in at 9:40am, filled out a short form, and was immediately taken back for fingerprinting and to have my photo taken. Ten minutes after arriving, I was already in the car, headed back home. By my actual appointment time I was already almost half way home. Talk about efficiency! Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that I was the only applicant there at that time?

I came away, armed with this booklet which I have to study for my interview, which will be in the regional office in Atlanta (hopefully no later than 2 months from now).

I wonder if current citizens can answer some of these questions? I quizzed some 9th and 10th graders who had come over to our house, and they did fairly well. Here are some samples.

Q16. Who makes federal laws?
Q19. We elect a senator for how many years?
Q21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
Q31. If both the President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
Q47. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
Q49. What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens?
Q66. When was the Constitution written?
Q74. Name one problem that led to the Civil War.
Q80. Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II?
Q87. Name one American Indian tribe in the United States,
Q92. Name one state that borders Canada.

And so on.

I was pleased to know that I already know the answers to the vast majority of the questions in the booklet. So, I'll consider it a 'refresher' Civics lesson. I'll leave everyone to mull over these questions, see how many they know, and I'll post the answers tomorrow. Don't use Google, that would be cheating!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails